Friday, July 4

Culture Shock 42

How do you celebrate Independence Day?

For 14 Fourth of Julys, my husband and I have celebrated by going to a fireworks show. Fireworks are illegal to set off in California without special permits and licenses. We always brought snacks to munch and blankets to sit on.

One year, we bought fireworks in Washington to set off at a family reunion in Oregon. I believe they are not legal in Oregon either. My dad used to tell stories about setting some off down by the train tracks when he was a kid.

For the last 2 years, we have had our own mini show in our front yard here in Mississippi. So fun! This year, my little guy was awake enough to ooo and ahh over the mortars and bottle rockets. We are very careful, Grandpa! Our neighbors across the street have joined us and it's been really fun!

My husband and I started dating on July 4th, 1998. 17 times we have celebrated Independence Day together, even though two of those years were over the phone.

It's different for us here. Lots of state laws that are not the same have caused us pause. People ARE different out here, but mostly that has been a wonderful, refreshing change from the hustle of California.

I hope you had an amazing time with your family this past weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment