Wednesday, May 14

Culture Shock 23

Y'all vs. guys

"Hey guys!" "Whatcha guys doing?" "You guys..."

These phrases can mean all guys or all girls or a combination of both; could be adults or children or both. California has become casual in the reference to address each other in a group.

"Y'all" is pronounced as one word and it feels so strange coming out of my mouth! It makes me smile to hear from others though. So if you see a mischievous smile on my face, you probably said this word and I am only smiling at myself for being different!

STORY TIME: We did meet a waiter that was from Texas. He came up to our table and said, "What can I get you guys?" My husband and I smiled before we asked where he was from. He asked what gave him away that he was not from this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment