Saturday, March 6

A New Project Begun

To begin a new project, I read the instructions twice. This is the second read through. I think I get it and can't wait to get started! I remeasured the fabric to make sure I had enough for my size. (The lady at the fabric store didn't seem sure of her own measuring technique.)The fabric is more like fall colors, but I am deciding to call this a spring jacket anyway. It will be too light-weight to be a fall / winter jacket. We only have two seasons in California anyway: fall and summer. It just makes total sense to make a SPRING jacket, then.

So far, in my sewing career, I have sewn curtains, 5 dolls and 2 worms, a couple blankets, countless purses, one top without a pattern, one re-purposed man's shirt, one dress for my niece and a skirt for me, and only 2 blouses from the same pattern.

I'm not much for following patterns. I was the one in first grade who picked the brown paper because no one else wanted it. I never cared for the latest fashion. In fact, quite the contrary: I wore what was comfortable and that tended to be on the more preppy side in junior high and the more casual side in high school.

I've wanted to sew since high school so that I could say that I made it. I put the urge aside in college to pursue creating in music and missions projects. When I was pregnant with my son, the urge to sew came back. (called 'nesting' to some!)

I'm excited to say that my blog has been good therapy for me with many topics, but has now found a place among the sewing blogs out there in cyberspace.

Added later: So far, McCalls Patterns seem much easier to follow than Simplicity Patterns. Go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment